Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Virtual Worlds a Passing Fad?


Virtual worlds are being developed as we speak. The game Second Life is gaining a lot attention, and I have been "in world" about five times thus far (Gary Gynoid is my character. I find it funny that there is debate about Second Life being a competent technology. Virtual worlds are multiplying daily. If you don't believe me, check out this review on all the different virtual worlds by categories.

As I often state, it is of great importance that we don't look at emerging technology with our "this is the way education has always been" glasses. Technology has already drastically changed the institution know as "school." And... will continue to do so. Student live in this wired world. A world that I think will eventually change the role of teachers.

Personally, I am excited for the future. Excited that my sons will be able to collaborate with a fellow student in China by simply turning on their computer. What's next? I will try to keep my ear to the ground.

Keep those minds open,

Aaron

No comments: