Monday, October 08, 2007

Online Networking and Other Ideas


While being on the Community Building committee at EOC (with my esteemed colleague Mike), I have been racking my brain, thinking of ways for students to get to know each other. We have a school newsletter, this blog (which will get rolling, I promise), email lists and an instant messaging client. None of them seems to be fulling that social need to meet others.

In comes our very own social network, that I got free of charge from Ning. There are many early adapters. Students, as normal, have been much better beta testers than adults. I would divulge our address to join, but we are keeping it for our community only, which is the beauty of Ning.

My positives are many. Students are used to this environment and many have taken great pride in how their profile looks (using html skills from MySpace and Facebook). The main gripe I have so far is that I don't have a way to control passwords and usernames as an administrator. Students forget their passwords and come looking to me to help them, but there isn't much I can do.

It has been fun for our students, who live across the state of Minnesota to use a Web 2.0 technology for school related work.

Keep experimenting,

Aaron

No comments: