I came to some personal realizations, thus opinions, the last two weeks about testing.
- Tests truly are written for white, middle class students (the monoculture phenomenon)
- It doesn't seem possible that the test scores of ESL students can be valid
- Snapshot (versus longitudinal) testing is simply a waste of time
- More and more teachers must feel the need to teach to the test
- If the time spent administering all the tests was put into another initiative, like peer mentoring for instance, it may be a better use of time by all
- Testing may or may not correlate with the student's potential
A bit synical, I know, but I had to get that off my chest. :) Now, do the best you can.