Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Video Gaming, Technology, Teens and Learning by Doing


The following post is in reference to the following article: Major New Study Shatters Stereotypes About Teens and Video Games.

The beauty of my generation, is that I get to claim that I am neither a digital native, nor a digital immigrant (per Mark Prensky).

Three schools years ago, which would be the year of 2005-06, two students of mine did senior projects that followed the same premise of a study that was recently put out by the Pew Internet and American Life Project (emailed to me courtesy of the MacArthur Foundation). The students told me that their parents and I misunderstood what gaming was really like. I told them to quit talking and start proving their point, which they did by the way.

These two students told me that video games and technology could be used in a much more efficient manner for today's students, which would help them be more engaged in their learning environments and subject matter. I must admit, I was convinced three years ago and am even more convinced today that they were right. They told me about the strong connections they had online, but I didn't quite understand it.

I may comment on this further at a later date, but wanted to share the article with you. If this post bored you, you can check out "Did You Know 2.0" on the web.

No comments: