Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Google Adds Voice and Video Chat within Gmail

I owe Chris Craft for this info:

I was looking at my contacts in gmail, and noticed a green camera icon by Chris' status. I asked him what was the scoop, especially since he is a fellow mac user. I came to find that Google has released a voice and video chat that is embedded right in gmail. After you download the file, you simply enable it in the chat section in your email preferences.

Previously, in order to make video and voice calls, you had to use google talk (which exists outside of gmail). Previously, mac version of the voice and video chat were not available for google talk. I believe that google talk first arrived when google bought Festoon (also used for Skype). It is interesting for me to look back on how quickly technology is progressing. This application is no doubtably competition for Skype.

Regardless, I will check out this new chat feature in gmail and get back to you. Check it out for yourself and let me know what you think. For a more in depth article by Monkey_Bites, click here.

Or, you can check out this video that Google made:



Aaron

No comments: